Saturday, May 26, 2007

Of Capitol Hill, moving.... and guitars

Life rolls on. Wendi and I are moving in two weeks to a larger apartment in Englewood. We are crossing our fingers and hoping that it works out; neither of us wants to move again for a considerable amount of time. In the past 4 years for one reason or another, we have moved 5 or 6 times, depending on how you calculate it… needless to say, we are sick of it.

So we are making the long anticipated move to respectability and middle class (ha!) suburban boringness, to a slightly larger apartment in beautiful Englewood, CO. The time has come for this era to end.

Don’t get me wrong – Capitol Hill is still the best, funkiest and prettiest neighborhood in Denver, in my opinion. The problem is that it’s a neighborhood that is friendly mostly to the very rich or very young – a diverse mix of big apartment buildings and VERY expensive houses.

We will miss the trees, the people, the parks, the nightlife, the bands and the friends we have here – we won’t miss some of the shady characters, the petty crimes such theft and random vandalism, and most of all the rich people who have pumped up the price of real estate to the point where it’s all but impossible to own a house here without making more than $200,000 a year.

We simply can’t afford the space we will need when Simon (that’s our unborn boy’s name, in case you didn’t know already) comes along in a few months. My only consolation is that all of the people in this area who tried to get rich from flipping one-bedroom condos for $250,000 are now losing their shirts. Ahhh… schadenfreude can be very soothing!

Capitol Hill is generally a safe neighborhood, although being an urban, inner city area it is home to some amount of crime. It is thick with bars and nightclubs – though these are part of the neighborhood’s character, you can meet messed-up people at anytime of day, and especially when the bars close at 2:00 a.m.

There are also a fair number of weirdos and people wigging out on any number of substances. These people are mostly harmless, though it’s advisable not to talk to them, or shake their hands, which they will sometimes offer to you in hopes of gaining an opening to hit you up for a cigarette or for money. Just say no and ignore them or you'll have a new, needy and unpleasant friend.

The down-n-outers are a species of human life common to the inner city, to even a gentrified, upscale neighborhood such as this. I learned long ago to be very cool towards anybody who approaches me out of the blue trying to be friendly – it doesn’t mean they like you for your charming personality, it means they WANT something. I’m not mean – I just won’t give anybody any money, no matter how heart-wrenching their sob story is. And people do tell some whoppers.

I remember one freakazoid who approached me in front of a rather notorious 7 Eleven on Colfax and York a couple of years ago. He galloped up to me, bobbing, weaving and gasping in what I suppose was intended as a desperate genuflection. “Oh please sir,” he sobbed, “I just need a dollar so I can get across town to see my baby daughter who’s in the hospital. Can’t you help me out?” I was amused by his bizarre behavior, but not impressed. “No, man,” I said flatly as I got into the car and drove off.

Later that week, in front of another store on Colfax, the same guy came up to me with the same weird attempt at eliciting sympathy. This time I was less than amused but I laughed in his face as I was taking my keys from my pocket. A quarter fell out and clinked on the ground. The guy didn’t remember me, misread my actions and thought I was being friendly because I’d laughed. “Oh, thank you sir!” he gasped at me as he watched the quarter roll away. I said, “Dude, I just saw you two days ago up the street. Still haven’t made it across town, huh? Well there’s your quarter!” This guy had absolutely no pride -- he dropped down on all fours groping for the quarter on the asphalt.

I wasn’t trying to be mean, but I do not appreciate it when wastoids like that try to hustle me. Trust me, the guy had no sick daughter. This happened in front of a liquor store. Coincidence?

Some of you may remember that Wendi was mugged about a year and a half ago, while she and I were living apart. Her apartment building itself was very nice, but it happened to be just around the block from a rather notorious, four-block stretch of Colfax between Logan and Washington, which for a while was an open-air drug market. A lot of shady characters aimlessly circling the block and saying “Yo. Yo. Yo. Yo!” when you walk by.

The police have thankfully cracked down on that area in the past year or so – I personally can’t figure out why any street dealer would frequent the area, because you can’t go five minutes without a cop cruising by, but nobody ever said that street criminals are gifted with high intelligence. Anyway, that was a very traumatic experience for her (and me!), but thankfully they didn’t hurt her – just knocked her down and took her wallet.

Since living in Capitol Hill, we have been subject to more petty crimes than I can remember – a car window busted for no apparent reason, our locked bicycles stripped, Wendi’s scooter tipped over, etc. But our last straw with petty crime happened a few weeks ago, when Wendi’s scooter was clean stolen from behind our building.

Our downstairs neighbor saw it happen. Three guys and a truck came and just picked it up and took it away. He doesn’t know us (and even if he had, I certainly wouldn’t have expected him to intervene), but did his utmost by contacting the building manager Steve, who knew whose scooter it was and tried to call us – we weren’t at home.

The scooter theft was a big blow to us, because we were planning to sell it and hoped to get around $750 for it. Wendi filed a police report but because it had no registration (under 50ccs and you don’t have to register a scooter in Colorado), we of course know that we’ll never get it back.

It was terribly ironic. We’ve lived in Capitol Hill for a long time and both of us have parked that scooter all over the place for days at a time without incident, and just as we were about to sell it… gah!!!! C’est la vie, I guess.

I am really hoping that our shiny new Elantra won’t be subject to such indignities when we move to our new apartment in a couple weeks, but I can’t be too optimistic. Englewood is a suburb of Denver, but that doesn’t mean it’s free of crime. We are moving to a fairly nice apartment complex. But it’s large, which means that there’s an uncomfortable degree of anonymity, and in fact the nice lady who leased it to us said there has been some “recent activity.” We’re crossing our fingers.

Having said all of this, I will reiterate that Wendi and I both adore Capitol Hill. It is a truly beautiful urban neighborhood, warts and all. We simply can’t afford to live here and get the space we want and need for our screaming bundle of joy – who will be arriving in probably less than 3 months.

Housing prices in Capitol Hill ridiculous. Our two-bedroom apartment, with its tiny bathroom and lack of air conditioning, is priced as it is because of its location, not because it is so luxurious. A family of three simply cannot live in this neighborhood on $40,000 a year.

This is a symptom of the currently imploding housing bubble… which is a subject I have been following with great interest for a long time. But I’ll save my strong opinions on that phenomenon of mass psychology for another blog post in the future ;-)

And now for something COMPLETELY different!!!

My last post was about Led Zeppelin’s glorious “Rain Song”. Yeah I know it’s been a long time since I posted – sue me! Anyway, I thought I would make a few comments about alternate tunings, for those guitar players out there who are bored enough to actually spare a couple seconds to read this.

As mentioned previously, this song is played using a quite different tuning (DGCGCD) from the standard tuning (EADGBE) that we guitar playas know and love and on which we probably learned how to play. While it is possible to play this song in the standard tuning, it doesn’t sound nearly as good and is much more difficult to play that way.

Since my last post (was it really 5 months ago? Wow!), I have had one of our guitars tuned his way, to what I call “D Modal” tuning, and it has been a wonderful, refreshing experience for me. I’ve written a couple of new songs in the “Rain Song” tuning that sound nothing like “Rain Song,” and plan to record them as soon as I can, after we get settled in our new apartment. This tuning has a lovely, melancholy ambiguity, due to its being so friendly to suspended 2nd and 4th intervals. And it's great for getting a nice drone going.

I recommend alternative tunings to any guitar player who happens to find themselves stuck in a rut. All those classic chord shapes you learned by rote get thrown out the window, and you are forced to relearn your instrument. New chord voicings, progressions and harmonic possibilities will open up like a secret garden before your ears. You’ll be exploring the musical wilderness like a newborn wolf cub. It’s just plain fun! Plus, there are literally hundreds of other tunings of one variety or another that you can use to spice things up.

Try one or more of them. I guarantee you won’t be disappointed.

7 comments:

Jeff said...

Matt,
Very cool post. I'm so sorry about the scooter. The only real urban area I have lived in is downtown St. Petersburg and I must admit that I loved it. The charm of a big city and the culture, museums and excitement it provides is very fun indeed. That being said, I will never live in an urban area again if I can help it. Give me the peace, quiet and serenity of a sleepy little suburb anytime. Sure it's boring, sure the houses all look alike, but it's safe, affordable and kind of cozy. I'm sure you don't agree with me, but I feel like I can always visit the hustley-bustley excitement of the city if I want, and then I can turn around and drive to my little slice of suburbia whenever I want.

As far as alternate tunings go, I would like to explore some of the possibilities there, but most of all I want to rock, and all I need for that is a powerchord, some distortion and an attitude to match. Keep rockin'!

Angie said...

That alternative tuning thing is very interesting...cool what you said about the melancholy ambiguity. I'm not much of a guitar player, but there are pieces written for cello with alternative tuning, and it always seems to altar the tone of the instrument in a more mellow way that you wouldn't expect. That's cool how it unleashes your creativity, too. It will be great to hear your new songs.

I too am very sorry to hear about the scooter. And I can see how you'll miss Downtown Denver a lot. Hopefully you'll discover something redeeming to you about suburban life besides just its economical practicality. It does have its charms. Good luck with the move!

Tankfos said...

I have always felt slightly our of place when ever I am in a more urban area. I can really remember feeling this way when me and Ty decided to walk from time square to central park. I think this comes from me having never lived in a urban area. However, I do find them fun to visit and that they have much more exciting things to do than out by us. I think you guys will enjoy your new apartment in Englewood. I am excited to see it sometime.

The furthest I have ever gone with alternative tunings is droping my E string to a D. Pretty Crazy stuff!!!!!!!!!1

Tyler said...

Give me my American dream suburban lifestyle with my mini-mart up the road and my subdivision with flowery street names and my nice green, fertilized and fenced lawn. Make sure I'm not to far away from a Walmart, Best Buy and Home Depot, 'cuz you never know when you might need something.

Oh wait, check, check, check, check, check and check. That's where I live.... No wonder I have so much happiness.

I am just trying to be funny. While suburbia does have some definite appeal like more space and affordable housing over urbia (I made up that word), there are annoying unsustainable outgrowths (transportation problems, resource consumption, sprawl etc.) that suburban lifestyle ecourages which sooner or later will come crashing down. Scary...

I just bought a guitar after not owning one for 2.5 years and not having one for almost a year (I had Goose's guitar on loan). I have come to one conclusion....I stink! I can't even handle the normal tuning, so why would I try an alternative one:-)

Mark said...

If Englewood is suburbia and Capitol Hill is urbia, then what is Worland? Anurbia?

It has been a huge change for us to go from Phoenix to Greeley and now to Worland . . . a steady de-urbanization if you will. But you know what? Besides the dearth of quality restaurants, I honestly don't miss a single thing about the big city.

What do we have? Great schools, very low cost of living, very reasonable real estate, endless wilderness opportunities within a very short drive, skiing, rafting,camping, hiking, rock-climbing, national parks. We have high speed internet, cell phones, cable TV, good grocery stores, movie theatres, rec leagues, strong church. We even have a dang library and museum (both very weak, though).

What don't we have? No crime, no drugs, no traffic, no commute. To be fair, no good restaurants (though two decent ones).

I'm not saying Worland is for everyone--to each their own, eh? The big town certainly has its draws and conveniences. But what I'm saying is that these come at a price.

I was making our montly trip to Cody (population 10,000--the big town up here) for a Walmart run a few days ago. It's a ninety minute drive through both arid desert and fertile green river valleys. If I said I saw thirty other cars between Worland and Cody, then I'm probably over-estimating. It's big sky country up here, wide open spaces et al--and not many people to have to share it with.

I'll take that anyday.

Finally, though I wish I could be there to help with the move, I will not miss lugging your 10,000 pound steel boxes, i.e. amps, up and down multiple levels of creaky stairs. Been there, done that . . . like six times.

Matthew said...

Appreciate the commentary, peeps! thanks for sharing yr thoughts. I have plenty more to say, but I'll save it for the next post.

Ty: give yourself a break. Surely you're not that bad, and even if you are, there are plenty of "open" alternate tuning that will allow you to play full chords with only one or two fingers!

Alternate tunings don't necessarily make your guitar harder to play, in fact many times they will make it easier. OK, yeah I'm a pretty decent guitar player, but I'm also lazy... if I can find an easier way to play something, I'll always choose that option.

Like I've always said -- being good at music is all about faking it ;-)

Dad said...

Matt,
Throughly enjoyed your post. I think what you said and indeed have experienced in downtown Denver with urban living, is not unique to any larger metropolitan area.

Many, many people love that life style. I think particularly those without children, certain kind of jobs and interests and those whom are into the kind of night life style you describe, love downtown areas. Denver is particularly pretty, I think, and I enjoy visiting down there. I certainly like to visit....wouldn't want to live there. I hate the traffic situation, the low lifes that are ever present, the more likely possiblity of crime, the older type building construction,etc.

On the positive side, there are a lot of really good little dives of restaurants, clubs, parks other things that are truly lovely.

I too have never lived in a urban area for any amount of time. (a little in Cincinnati for a month or so and that is about it) I'll take my surburban life in a general sense any day of the week.

To each his own and I'm very glad you and Wendi enjoy that life. I also am very glad you are coming close (purely selfish on my part) as Simon (and you two of course) will be closer. It will definitely be a better place to raise that little guy. Plus, we will be closer to help you with baby sitting Simon when you need us. Meggie will be able to help out there easier as well. I hope that your bus/lightrail travel is not too burdensome on you every day. Another great skill you have learned is to get around without a car. I and you mother are pathetically inadequate in that area, and are envious on how easy and comfortable is for you two. That is a good thing about urban life. We Suburbanites are a bit less comfortable than we should be in getting around with the bus and light rail system that we have here in Denver, which happens to be quite good. I think all the boys who have been on missions and had to get around in large cities are very good at that. I've never had to so just really have to figure it out and you guys don't

We love you guys and couldn't be happier to have you moving closer. I know it is so hard for younger folks to get a home anymore. (just ask Mark and Ty) I really don't see a way out of that unless you move to Worland!!!

Good luck on the move and let us know how we can help.

Dad