Tuesday, October 02, 2007

Behold my boy!

Okay, I know it's been nearly a month, but those of you with little kids can probably understand why Wendi and I have been a little distracted lately.

Simon was born September 7th after what we believe to be a particularly grueling labor. He was a week overdue and labor was induced by Wendi's fantastic and compassionate doctor, Dr. Wester. Wendi's water broke on its own (she was quite proud of this) and after about 12 hours of labor was ready to push.

And push she did, for nearly three hours. At first things were progressing nicely, but about halfway through the second hour she tired considerably. Eventually things stopped progressing and Wendi made the decision to have a cesarean section.

Dr. Wester earned his money! I will never be able to thank him enough. As it turned out, Wendi made the right decision because Simon came into this world a big boy -- 9 pounds 11 ounces. We heard that if they had tried to go ahead and deliver him with forceps, the results would have been pretty bad for both mommy and the boy. NO!

Wendi was very, very strong and this fact was remarked upon by all attending medical staff. She kept her composure better than me, because I kind of um, broke down at one point when I saw her in tremendous pain. My hat is off to her.

We were in the hospital together for the better part of a week, both because of Wendi's recovery and Simon's developing a bit of jaundice, which thankfully cleared up nicely after a day strapped to a glowing, comfy looking UV device. We jokingly called him "UFO baby" after seeing him like that.

I took off a week of work, most of which was spent in the hospital with my wife and boy. Wendi's mother, Shirl, flew in from NC and spent the second weekend with us, and we have had many meals and good wishes thanks to her, my own family and friends. The past few weeks we have spent enjoying and consolidating our bonds as a family unit.

Simon is generally a mellow guy and though caring for him can be a strain, as with every baby ever born, I think Wendi and I both agree that he is the best thing that has happened to us. We love him intensely.

At long last, some photos to show you what I mean.... we think he's probably going to have blue eyes, and that seems to be the consensus among others who have met him.

Whatever his eyes' color, one thing is certain: he's going to be a handsome guy, even better looking than me ;-)


We three, in the hospital tired but happy.


Simon himself, resting on my hairy leg about an hour ago.


Daddy loves his boy!

10 comments:

Mark said...

What a good (and large and healthy) looking boy!

Congrats to the proud mamma and papa!

Danalin said...

Hooray for a new post...WITH PICTURES! He is so handsome. I love everything you said. It is so true that babies are worth every bit of weariness they seem to cause by just needing so much.

Every now and again it hits me that we are REALLY doing this for the second time. You would think that the growing belly and baby moving around would do that for me, but it doesn't always. Anyway, talking to you after the delivery and reading this post has done that for me. I am so excited to see you all up close and personal in like a month and a half! Keep the pictures coming.

Rappster said...

Congratulations! I'm happy to hear that another happy baby was born into the world. Enjoy all the fun and mystery that Simon will bring!

-Ryan Rapp

Jeff said...

Bud,
You are an inspiration as we get ready to do this crazy delivery and newborn thing again. We are so happy for you and your fam. You are a good man.

Goose said...

Congrats on the baby boy. Sounds like it was an intense few days, but we are so thankful that everyone is ok. I could of told you before this whole baby thing how tough Wendi is, but I guess she has now proved it to the world. We are so happy for you, and make sure he knows who uncle Guzy is!!

Elizabeth said...

What a cute baby! I can't wait to see him in person. :)

Kristen said...

I am soooo happy for you guys. He is so cute, and you two seem so happy. He's a big boy, which makes him even cuter. Love you guys.

Tyler said...

That boy has wisdom beyond his days in his eyes! You guys need to get your webcam up and running so we can see him (and you) like we did last night.

Dad said...

Matt and Wendi,
Thanks for the post and pictures Matt. You have a wonderful little (or should I say BIG guy) there. Your mother and I marvel at this whole parenthood thing. We have these children and they don't come with a instruction manual and they need attention. It will be physically challenging for a while and you will have your moments, but in the long wrong what you have done is the most rewarding, fulfulling and joyful thing you can do in life. (in my humble opinion)

Wendi is tough and so are you and you are doing great...just remember that. That part about feeling helpless when you wife is goign through such agony is so true. I remember the feelings very well....you mother was terrific also as all women are when bearing a child. I'm sure if men had to have babies we would have a lot of single child families!!

Love you two,
Dad

Matthew said...

Dad,

Wendi is indeed tough. She has also made the argument to me that if men had babies there would be a lot less children around.

I see the point. However, my rebuttal is this: if men had babies, then by definition wouldn't we be women? Where the heck would that leave us?