Saturday, October 25, 2008

Bubba: a retrospective

This week it occurred to me that I have not posted any photos of my family for a while… in fact since Simon was born last year. It’s time for a retrospective of Du Bubs, as Wendi affectionately calls him. I tend to call him Bubba. Whatever you call him, he’s a great guy and so much fun to be around! Usually, anyway ;-)

In December of last year, Don Vito Corleone made us an offer we couldn't refuse.

"Daddy, your fly is down." I have had this problem most of my life, but now I have this little guy to help me out.

This is how Wendi looks at me if I forget to take out the trash. Truly, he is his mother's son. Great.

Next are a few pics from his first birthday party at Mark's house. Those of you who were there probably remember that it didn't go to well. It started out happily enough...

"I want a cool slide like this of my own, Dad!" "Kid, we live in an apartment... sorry."

Simon and Justin, buddies (except if Sy has one of Justin's toys).

Ask not for whom the baby comes... he comes for Daddy.

All dads know that a major portion of their duties involves imitating a jungle gym.

I have my revenge!

Well, shortly after dinner, Simon fell off his chair and landed squarely on his forehead with a resonant *THWACK*. No real harm done, but he wasn't too happy even when we sang "Happy Birthday" to him later:

Poor little guy. We all felt bad for him. He cheered up a little when it was time for cake...

More or less, ha ha! He even shared some cake with his mommy...

Wendi finds the fingers and toes of young children to be tender and delicious -- and even more delectable with some frosting on top.

Well, the birthday party wasn't the best of times for our little guy. I guess birthday parties aren't really his idea of a good time right now. He does seem to enjoy beeing outside though. A few weeks later we went for a short hike near Kenosha pass:

The crisp autumn mountain air and peaceful stillness of the wilderness... rudely interrupted by the continual shrieking and jabbering in my ear of the little boy on my back!

Finally, Wendi's mom was in town to help after Wendi's surgery last week, which went perfectly BTW. We strolled around downtown Littleton and snapped a few pictures in the park:

I believe this is the most recent photo I have of our bubba at the moment.

Being a parent is demanding, tiring and expensive. It is also a lot of fun! I am learning more about how to do it every day. Simon is an intelligent, good natured kid, somewhat cautious in nature -- though he loves all kinds of foods, even broccoli! We have enjoyed getting to know him and watching his personality develop over the past year. I think I can safely speak for Wendi also when I say that we wouldn't trade this sweet little boy for anything in the world.

6 comments:

Kristen said...

That was great!! I wasn't aware of the sad birthday story, but the pictures were so cute I have to say. He is growing up so fast!!! I can't wait to see you guys in a few weeks.
I am so glad the surgery went well, we were thinking of her all that week.

Anonymous said...

Hey, I love your photos..they are really nice...

Matthew said...

Let it be known that FIT CELEBS IS COMMENT SPAM and I utterly disavow any endorsement of that stupid "blog." Does anybody know how to delete spam comments?

May you wake up ugly, wrinkled and deformed FIT CELEBS. Die now.

Goose said...

Loved the blog. I feel like Simon has forgotten his favorite uncle Drew. I hope that we will be able to move back to Denver soon so that Sy and I can bond. He looks great and so do the parents. We were thinking of you guys during the surgery and are so happy that everything went well. We'll see you soon.

Dad said...

Matt,
Your mother and I would also agree that Sy is one of the real cute little guys we know. We have a bunch of cute ones in our family and it is impossible to pick anyone, but as to Sy, he is the most mild mannered, even tempered one of all of our grandkids. He is really easy going and I rarely have seem him when he is upset like at the party. That was a major thunk he took but even after that he was back to normal in a short time.

You are lucky parents to have such a easy going young man.

We love to see you two being such good and conciencious parents and going up the very steep learning curve that all new parents do. You are doing great. (Much better than we did with our first one!!)

We love you three son....keep up the good work and always know that Sy and your wife are the two most important people in your life.

Love,
Dad

Mark said...

You've got quite a little man there. There's nothing quite like watching your kid's personality develop in front of you.

Sorry about the head-knocker. It made for a less than stellar celebration on Simon's part, but kids are amazingly tough.

To delete fit celebs and their ilk (or elk, should they also infiltrate your blog), just log into you Blogger account and go to comments, then hit the trashcan icon. Presto, they're gone, and your world just got a little less agravating.