Friday, May 26, 2006

It's real

We move on. By now, if you've read Wendi's blog you know that we've decided to live together again. I think I can speak for us both when I say thank you all for the love all of yo have shown us for the past difficult year.

We are hoping to learn to live together again and be happy like we used to be. That we love each other has never really been in doubt over the past year. Right honey? ;-)

We've leased a two bedroom apartment, one whole block (9th and Corona) from my current place, from the same company that I rent from now. It was the only way that I could get out of my current lease with a minimum of pain, and it's not like I'm crazy about my current apartment.

The blinds are cheap and fall apart at the slightest touch. The kitchen is cheap and small. The management company is run by incompetent airheads and overbearing husky men. Neither of us are crazy about Cornerstoned Apartments. The new apartment does not have A/C. So, this move is not without its dark corners. But the upshot is that we signed the lease today and it is a done deal

We do like the new apartment. It has a large kitchen and dining area, hardwood floors and several closets. Closets are good. So is having a dishwasher for the first time in a year :-) And the blinds, while no less cheap, are somewhat sturdier.

I am typing this from Wendi's place. We have been spending almost every night together since skool ended two weeks ago. Our new apartment will be more convenient for both of us, but the move is coming suddenly. We have to move in two weeks (June 10th). Mark, who is facing a move of his own at the end of next month, has graciously agreed to help with ours. Can you guess why?

We have also enlisted a couple of friends with promises of pizza and beer afterwards. Really good pizza.

I'm listening to a 40 year old ska song right now called "It's Real" by the Silvertones. This is vintage, first-wave ska of the first order -- like most of the Jamaican ska "groups" of the early/mid 1960's it consists of an anonymous studio band and some soulful singers. It's got some of the most insanely infectious interplay between the lead and backing vocals I've ever head. It sounds joyous and makes me feel good.

I danced to "It's Real" a moment ago and made Wendi laugh. Hopefully not only at me. She has a nice laugh. Love you girl...

4 comments:

Tankfos said...

I wish I could be there to help you guys move. Psych!!!!

Adam

ps-I'm just joking I really do wish I could be there. All of us, or at least myself, will have to come visit you this summer when I am home. I want to check out the new crib.

Danalin said...

Congrats, Matt! I am excited for you and your lovely wife. Good luck with the move - sorry we are stealing some of the fam that weekend. Tyler and I really hope that you and Wendi can make a trip our way sometime this summer. Oh, and congrats on the dishwasher as well! :)

Tyler said...

I think she was probably laughing at you...society has informed me that white guys can't dance...

Wendi said...

...and Matthew is one extremely white guy. :-)

Actually, one of the things I love about my dollink husband is that he's not afraid to dance in public, at least to music that he likes. Perhaps some of you remember he and I cutting a rug to "Baby Got Back" at Brad and Sarah's wedding a couple of years ago?

Egad. If I recall correctly, our oh-so graceful dance was punctuated by a couple of butt-slaps at appropriate moments (i.e., at the whipcrack sounds) in the song. With my luck Jamie and Freddy have it on video. :-S

I am ashamed.