Wednesday, May 31, 2006

Undiscovered gem song of the week: "Opposite Day"

I got home this morning with the sun right in my eyes
There was no warning as it took me by surprise
Hit me like an act of god causing my alarm
That I’d not become a cephalopod
I still had legs and arms
Still had legs and arms

And today was supposed to be the day
Molecules decided to change their form
The laws of physics lose their sway
Youthful indiscretion is
Suddenly the norm with the good kids sprouting horns

And today was supposed to be
Not just another day
Today was supposed to be
Opposite day

And those who can’t quite function in society at large
Are gonna wake up on this morning
And find that they’re in charge
While those the world is set up for who are really doing quite well
Gonna wake up in institutions in prison or in hell
And today was supposed to be
Opposite day

But if you think there’s something else…
well you’re right there is something else
But if you think I’m gonna tell you
Think again, why should I think of telling you what there is?
Because silence is knowledge and knowledge is power
I’m under explicit orders to dare not speak its name

No I dare not speak its name
Listen!
I just work here
No I dare not speak its name

“Opposite Day”
by Andrew Bird 2005


This is a wry, sarcastic song about the absurdity of life, or something like that. Get the clever Kafka reference in the first verse? Andrew Bird has come a very long way from Squirrel Nut Zippers. This song is from his lovely latest record "The Mysterious Production of Eggs". The odd melody breaks into a uniquely Bird-ian chorus. His expressively virtuosic fiddle playing is in abundance. His melancholy, yet witty and comforting voice seems to ponder the words as he sings them. The album is his strongest and most unique yet -- I think he's found his voice.

2 comments:

Jeff said...

I listened to Opposite Day. Old Andrew really knows how to do it. He is accesible enough to readily enjoy and off-kilter enough to keep it interesting. Very talented young man.

Wendi said...

I too am impressed with "The Mysterious Production of Eggs". That Andrew Bird is an extremely talented musician can hardly be denied, but IMHO some of his earlier work seemed a bit too schticky and derivative of the Squirrel Nut Zippers' sound -- still very good, but kind of tiresome after a while. (Matt, please restrain yourself from flaming me to death because of that comment ;-) )

In any case, TMPOE is extremely good and is by far my favorite Bird album to date. I particularly like the second track, "Sovay", which apparently is Bird's take on an anti-war song...

"...all those Don Quixotes in their B-17's /...They'll blow us back to the seventies/...They're playing "Ride of the Valkyries"